Exterior front entrance, U.S. Custom House, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1934

The U.S. Custom House in Philadelphia, a federal building project of the Depression era, was begun in December 1932. It is distinguished by richness of materials, quality of design, and by an interior mural program by a major local artist, Brandywine School artist George Harding. Ritter & Shay, one of the most prominent architectural firms in Philadelphia, gave the new building classical details on the broad, low base, which is highly responsive to the surrounding Georgian and Federal architecture.

Source

Carol M. Highsmith

Rights

No known restrictions on publication in the U.S. Use elsewhere may be restricted by other countries' laws. For general information see "Copyright and Other Restrictions ...,"(http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html)

Coverage

Second and Chestnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA

Format

Highsmith, Carol M. (American photographer, born 1946); Ritter and Shay, architects, “Exterior front entrance, U.S. Custom House, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,” Classicizing Philadelphia, accessed November 24, 2017, http://www.classicizingphiladelphia.org/items/show/456.